1. assists management with building an annual operating budget for the company.
2. is in charge of managing purchasing and labor practices in order to keep costs within budget while maintaining the company's production schedule.
3. Build reports detailing raw material and labor costs to management along with a comparison of actual versus projected production costs.
4. The controller may also be called upon to provide profit estimate reports on a regular basis.
5. Construct data accumulation systems for a cost accounting system
6. Create and review the controls needed for data accumulation and reporting systems
7. Coordinate physical inventory counts and cycle counts
8. Investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues
9. Update standard costs in the bill of materials
10. Review standard and actual costs for inaccuracies
11. Validate the cost of goods sold as part of the month-end close
12. Accumulate and apply overhead costs as required by generally accepted accounting principles
13. Work with the materials review board to locate and dispose of obsolete inventory